You guys! I’m finally doing it, I’m teaching my very first jewelry making workshop at Mischief in Oakland. I’m excited and nervous (as you can imagine!) I wanted to share about the class here and tell a little bit more about what you can expect. This is a great class for anyone who’s looking to start making metal jewelry. It’s beginner level and I promise you’ll have fun! =)
If you already know this sounds like something for you, then just head on over to the Mischief website to register. There’s only 5 spots left as of typing this! Otherwise, read on for more info about the class. . .
Making metal jewelry can sometimes seem intimidating. In this 3-hour class I’ll show you that it doesn’t have to be! You’ll learn how to make your own metalwork jewelry using basic techniques with tools that are easy and affordable to come by. You’ll learn the basics of manipulating brass or copper wire into a variety of different shapes (or components), from geometric to more organic. We will then use these shapes to create our own earrings, necklaces, and even bracelets (if you like!) We’ll also go over everything you need to create your own at-home metalwork shop (no torch needed!)
This is an intro level class and no previous experience is needed. We will not be working with a torch.
You will learn:
- how to cut, shape, and hammer out various gauges of wire to create shapes for your jewelry
- different techniques for texturing your work
- a variety of techniques for connecting components together that does not include a torch (this is called “cold connections” in the jewelry making world)
- how to create holes in your designs (for those cold connections!)
- all of the details that will allow you to create a finished piece of jewelry
- a handy way to create your own ear-wires out of basic materials
- AND, lastly, we will go over the tools and equipment you’ll need if you’re looking to set up a jewelry metal workplace of your own at home. (With as little pressure on your wallet as possible!)
You’ll leave this class with your choice of:
- 1 pair of finished earrings and 2 necklaces
- 1 pair of finished earrings, 1 bracelet, and 1 necklace
- your own jewelry polishing cloth
All materials and tools are provided.
Must be at least 18 years of age to take this class.
While it is not absolutely necessary, it is a good idea to tie long hair back and wear closed-toe shoes for this class. Also, clothes that aren’t too precious and are comfortable for working in, are ideal.
That about sums it all up! Feel free to leave a comment here if you have any questions for me. Sign up for the class on the Mischief website. Otherwise I look forward to working with you on November 11th!